importing data automatically - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Menke, Kurt
Subject importing data automatically
Date
List pgsql-novice

I am running PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on RedHat 8.  I have many large census tables I need to import.  I access the Linux box from my Windows 2000 machine via Cygwin and can access PostgreSQL similarly via EMS PostgreSQL Manager.  I understand that a table must be created with the correct fields before INSERT or COPY can be used, or before the data import wizard in EMS can be used.  My problem is that I have some very large tables with hundreds of fields to import.  Is there a way to get PostgeSQL to honor the database schema from an MS Access database and create the appropriate fields on import automagically?

Kurt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kurt A. Menke

GIS Analyst/Programmer