Re: Load a csv file into a pgsql table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Load a csv file into a pgsql table
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 13:27, Brandon Aiken wrote:
> Define 'quick'.
>
> You could write a script that would transform a .csv file into an INSERT
> statement and save it to an .sql file.
>
> Or I suppose you could do silly ODBC stuff with MS Access.
>
> --
> Brandon Aiken
> CS/IT Systems Engineer

Haven't seen the OP go by, but here's the one of the simplest csv
loaders ever created.  No guarantees to suitability implied or
otherwise.

#!/usr/bin/php -q
<?php
$tablename = $argv[1];
$filename = $argv[2];
if ($argc!=3){
        echo "Usage:\n\n loadpg tablename filename\n";
        exit;
}
if (!file_exists($filename)){
        die ("given filename doesn't exist\n");
}
print "copy $tablename from stdin;\n";
$fp = fopen($filename,"r");
while(!feof($fp)){
        $line = fgetcsv($fp,4096);
        if (strlen($line)==0) continue(1);
        print implode("\t",$line);
        print "\n";
}
print '\.';
print "\n";
?>

Note that you just redirect the output to psql and off you go.