An Idea for OID conflicts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gevik Babakhani
Subject An Idea for OID conflicts
Date
Re: An Idea for OID conflicts  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: An Idea for OID conflicts  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Folks,

I would like to have your thoughts on a solution for the duplicate OIDs.

I wanted to apply the uuid patch on a newly download source from the
CVS. Patching and "make install" went just okay but "make check" and
initdb failed to my surprise. A quick look at duplicate_oids showed that
almost all of the OIDs I got available from unused_oids were already in
use. So naturally I went "!!?! segmentation fault **!!?".

I can only imagine how time consuming this can be for the committers to
correct these manually.

I think we can solve this problem with the combination of the following
three steps.

1. When using new OIDs always start from a fixed number. For example
10000. This way the new OIDs are easy to recognize and the developer can
continue the work.
2. Always use the new OIDs sequentially.
3. Make a small utility that goes through a patch, finds the new OIDs
and changes them back to a value specified by the committer(s).

Would this be workable?

Regards,
Gevik.