Re: Setting primary key on existing table - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Setting primary key on existing table
Date
List pgsql-novice
Doug Silver <dsilver@urchin.com> writes:
> I would like to be able to redefine a field in a table to be a foreign
> reference -- however this field was initially defined as just "serial" and
> not "serial primary key".  I tried to add that constraint to the table, but
> it didn't work.

AFAIR, "serial" implies "unique not null" (at least in pre-7.3
releases), so your column is a primary key in all but name.  All you'd
get from marking it as primary key is not having to mention the column
name when defining the foreign key reference.  Is it good enough to
just write
        ... foo int REFERENCES mytable(mycol)
?

            regards, tom lane