Re: PostgeSQL problem (server crashed?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgeSQL problem (server crashed?)
Date
List pgsql-general
Edwin Pauli <edwin@epauli.dyndns.org> writes:
> DEBUG:  found "/usr/local/bin/postgres" using argv[0]
> DEBUG:  invoking IpcMemoryCreate(size=8970240)
> DEBUG:  found "/usr/local/bin/postmaster" using argv[0]
> ............................................................failed
> pg_ctl: postmaster does not start

Hm.  This is the first thing you've shown us that looked even remotely
like a server problem.  Have you been changing things around since your
previous reports?

Anyway, it looks to me like the next interesting thing that happens
after those messages is pgstat_init(), which will try to open a UDP
port on address "localhost".  If there's something munged about your
DNS setup, perhaps that could fail (though I'm not sure why it would
fail without any error message).

You might try turning off the stats collector altogether --- set
"stats_start_collector" off in postgresql.conf (and make sure
that stats_command_string, stats_row_level, stats_block_level are
not turned on).  Does it get any further if you do that?

Also, I'm not aware of any reason that the postmaster would exit
without printing an error message --- unless it crashed completely,
and in that case it should leave a core file.  Do you see any core
file?  If so, can you get a stack trace from it?

            regards, tom lane