Re: Foreign keys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Mair
Subject Re: Foreign keys
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> First of all i'de like to apolagize cause my poor english. After this,
> i shuould say that i beleavee a year ago i brought this problem to the
> community but i donn't remember some answering about it. The problem
> is:
>
> Every time a users misses a external refrenced key the PGSql raises an
> exception.
> Well as far as i realise if we had 5 or 10 Foreign keys
> during an Insert/Update transaction only exception should be raised
> reporting all erros/messages after last external refrenced field
> missed at one time,not one by one.
> Well, in order to implement this idea we will need to desable the
> built-in refencial integrety and build it all by your self- all the
> validation (look-ups etc..) before insert/update If tg_op='insert' or
> tg_op='update'  then as people do with non relational Databases - all
> hand-made. Well, this is very hard to beleave!!! I must be missing
> something.
>
> Please i'must be wrong can some one explain me what i'm missing?

When there is a constraint violation, the current transaction is rolled
back anyhow.

What's the purpose of letting you insert 1000 records, then, at the end
say: "hah, all is rolled back becauase the 2nd record was invalid".
PG justly throws the exception immediately to let you know it's futile
inserting 998 more records.

I don't see a problem here.

Bye,
Chris.