pg_dump and cluster - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Angva
Subject pg_dump and cluster
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I have a question regarding pg_dump and table clustering. Each night a
job runs that basically does the following:

1) load large amounts of data from flat files into a schema
2) cluster the data
3) pg_dump that schema
4) copy the resulting dmp to several destination databases
5) pg_restore the dmp on the destinations

Can anyone tell me if the restored data will remain clustered? That is,
does the dmp contain the data in clustered order, and if so, does
pg_restore preserve this order? I would like to know whether there
should be a step 6) cluster the data on the destinations, or if it
would just be a waste of time. (I need the whole job to run as quickly
as possible.)

Thanks,
Mark