Re: Database design and triggers... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From romantercero@gmail.com
Subject Re: Database design and triggers...
Date
Re: Database design and triggers...  ("Brandon Aiken" <BAiken@winemantech.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi Brandon, thanks for answering.

The information regarding a transaction is stored on two separate
tables due to normalization. The first table stores general information
regarding the transaction like Transaction number, date, customer ID,
type of transaction, userID etc... The second table stores the details
of the purchase like the products and quantities that the transaction
affected. Like this:

Table 1:
Operation#     Type_of_operation    Client#        Date    UserID
1           Inbound                    10        1/1/2000    Paul37
2            Outbound                    10        1/2/2000    Steve04

Table 2:
Operation#    Part#   Lot#           Qty
1        X    a        10
1        Y    ds1        9
1        Z    54ad        7
2        X    a        10

Table 2 has Table 1's Operation field as a Foreign key.

Now, to obtain a current count of  Part X we have to create a temporary
table on which we can use aggregate functions.

CurrentCountTable:

Operation    Client#    Date    Part#    Lot#    Qty    UserID
1    10    1/1/2000    X    a    +10    Paul37
1    10    1/1/2000    Y    ds1    +9    Paul37
1    10    1/1/2000    Z    54as    +7    Paul37
2    10    1/2/2000    X    a    -10    Steve04

Now, on the temporary table called CurrentCountTable we can use an
aggregate function, The problem is that creating this table is slow
with INSERT INTO, and so are aggregate functions (On MS Access). So
Naturally it occurred to me that triggers can keep a permanent version
of the CurrentCountTable up to date every time some one inserts in to
Table 1 and Table 2. But it has to be perfect to avoid inconsistencies.

So, are triggers a safe bet? Is using triggers more advisable over the
temporary table solution because on PSQL speed is not an issue? Or
should I use views?

Thanks!!! (Hope the tables got listed correctly :-/ )