Re: PostgreSQL on system with root as only user - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Mair
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on system with root as only user
Date
List pgsql-general
> I am about to install PostgreSQL on a minimal Linux system, where root
> is the only user that is allowed to exist. I would prefer to use a
> binary installer. Is it possible to install PostgreSQL without the
> postgres user?

PostgreSQL refuses to start up as root user for security
reasons (this is a feature).

If you know what you're doing and you want to disable that
feature you need to recompile from source and disable the
uid checks in src/backend/main/main.c.

Unless you're working in the embedded space or some such thing,
I don't think it's a good idea, anyway.

Bye :)
Chris.

--