Re: getting around 'out of memory' errors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rajarshi Guha
Subject Re: getting around 'out of memory' errors
Date
List pgsql-general
> Rajarshi Guha <rguha@indiana.edu> writes:
> > On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 10:50 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> I think you are getting burnt by the list of pending trigger actions
> >> to check the foreign-key references in B.
>
> > Thanks for the pointer. I've dropped the constraint and am now running
> > the INSERT.
> > However when I look at the output of top, I'm seeing that the %MEM value
> > is continuously increasing and I'm worried that I'm going to hit the
> > same problem in a few hours.
>
> Sure you got all the FK constraints involving table B?  Do you have any
> AFTER triggers other than the FK constraints?

Yes, \d B shows no constraints

> > One thing I did not mention previously is that table A has some
> > constraints on some fields (notably field b is specified to be NOT
> > NULL).
>
> Plain old CHECK constraints shouldn't matter.  Tell us more about those
> functions in the SELECT though --- what are they?

That would be a problem as I have not written them. I know the INSERT
(and PL/pgSQL function) and functions f1() and f2() work on some trivial
test tables - I should probably contact the developer.

Thanks,

Rajarshi Guha <rguha@indiana.edu>
GPG Fingerprint: 0CCA 8EE2 2EEB 25E2 AB04 06F7 1BB9 E634 9B87 56EE
A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.