Re: text datum VARDATA and strings - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Reece Hart
Subject Re: text datum VARDATA and strings
Date
List pgsql-general
Whose 7.x manual?  This stuff has been there since we invented the
"version 1" function call convention, which was 7.3 or before.  There
is some documentation in the SGML docs, but really we kind of expect you
to look at the standard built-in functions to see how things are done...

The PostgreSQL manual. I wrote these functions early in the 7.x series and I don't know which manual version exactly.  For example, the sec 9.5.4 of
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/xfunc-c.html shows code for concat_text, which I remember was the basis for what I wrote. I now see and understand the text regarding detoasting the 'DatumGetXXX' macros; the relevance of these were not obvious to me at the time.

So it's best not to assume that you know what is inside a
text datum, if possible,

Okay. Does that mean that code in 9.5.4 should have a warning to that effect?

> 3) Is there any reason to believe that the code below is problematic?

The only thing I'd suggest is that checking for a null return from
palloc is a waste of effort.  It doesn't return to you if it runs
out of memory.

Okay.  Thanks for the advice, Tom.

-Reece

--