Re: how do I check for lower case - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: how do I check for lower case
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 15:32, Juliann Meyer wrote:
> I have a table with a column, lets call it identifier, that is defined
> as varchar(8) that should never contain lower case letters.  Its a large
> table.  Is there a way to query the table to see if any values in this
> column are lower case and to get a list out?  The user interface
> application that users use prevents them from adding an entry in lower
> case  now, but didn't in earlier version.

You can also use the same upper / lower functions to make sure no lower
case stuff gets into the table at a later date:

test=> create table aaa (a text check (upper(a)=a));
CREATE TABLE
test=> insert into aaa (a) values ('ABC');
INSERT 2120799293 1
test=> insert into aaa (a) values ('ABC123');
INSERT 2120799294 1
test=> insert into aaa (a) values ('ABC12a3');
ERROR:  new row for relation "aaa" violates check constraint "aaa_a"

viola!