Re: vacuumdb exclude tables option? - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: vacuumdb exclude tables option?
List pgsql-admin
On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 13:24, Joel Stevenson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a database that includes both highly transactional tables and
> archive tables - OLTP and OLAP mixed together.  Some of the archival
> tables, which only experience inserts and reads, not updates or
> deletes, contain many millions of rows and so they take a *long* time
> to vacuum.  Is there currently any means to exclude only these tables
> from vacuumdb operations other than explicitly vacuuming all the
> other tables and explicity skipping the archival tables?
>
> If not, are there any plans to add a command line switch to vacuumdb
> to exclude tables from it's operation, ala 'vacuumdb -d mytest -x
> archive_tab1 -x archive_tab2 -x archive_tab3'?  I searched the list
> archives but didn't see anything about being able to do this.
> Something like this would save many hours of useless vacuuming in
> this particular setup.

Does autovacuum fail you in this quest?  I've found it's pretty good
about leaving along tables that don't need vacuuming.  It's usually the
other way around that people have problems with, autovacuum NOT
vacuuming tables that need vacuuming often enough.