Re: DB connectivity from a client machine - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: DB connectivity from a client machine
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 16:25, Jasbinder Bali wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a middle tier application in C on one machine which doesn't
> have postgres installed.
> I have a machine that hosts my postgres database.
> My middle tier application wants to connect to the Db server.
>
> Is it mandatory for the m/c that hosts the middle tier application to
> have postgres installed.
> Why I'm asking this is (though generally m/c hosting the middle tier
> component can connect to the m/c hosting the Db without any DB client
> installed) because i tried to run ecpg in the middle tier m/c and it
> doesn't work. Well it would definitely not work coz ecpg comes with
> postgres.

Are you running a packaged version of postgresql (rpm / deb???) or
installing from source?

If it's packaged, you should be able to get away with just the
postgresql and -client packages, no -server etc...

If it's source compiled, look in the INSTALL file.  From the 7.4.13
INSTALL file we find this:

       Client-only installation: If you want to install only the client
       applications and interface libraries, then you can use these
       commands:
gmake -C src/bin install
gmake -C src/include install
gmake -C src/interfaces install