Re: Practical maximums (was Re: PostgreSQL theoretical - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Practical maximums (was Re: PostgreSQL theoretical
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 16:51 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Python queues and threads would make that very simple.  Master
> thread reads from pg_dump pipe, passing X bytes to a queue, and each
> thread performs this loop:
>   - read from queue
>   - synchronously write to /dev/stN

Right, you can use threads also. You're doing synchronous writes from
different threads, I was doing asynchronous writes from the same thread.
It's just a matter of preference.

> The disk system would have to be fast enough to keep all X tape
> drives full.

The whole point of this is that pg_dump was producing output (from the
disk) faster than you could store it (to the tape), right? So if you use
multiple tapes and stripe with a multiplexing script, that should solve
the problem right?

Regards,
    Jeff Davis