Re: hash index improving v3 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: hash index improving v3
Date
List pgsql-patches
I wrote:
> You have the unique-versus-not dimension,

On second thought, actually not.  What we want to look at is the penalty
for false matches due to *distinct* key values that happen to have the
same hash codes.  Your test case for all-the-same is using all the same
key values, which means it'll hit the heap a lot, but none of those will
be wasted trips.

So what we need for testing is a few different key values that hash to
the same code.  Not sure about an easy way to find such.

            regards, tom lane