Re: Alternative to serial primary key - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Alternative to serial primary key
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 05:16, David Clarke wrote:
> I posted a couple of weeks back a question regarding the use of a 100
> char column as a primary key and the responses uniformily advised the
> use of a serial column. My concern is that the key is effectively
> abstract and I want to use the column as a foreign key in other
> tables. It occurred to me that if I used a hash function on insert to
> generate another column and used that column as the primary key then I
> have a value that meets a lot of the requirements for a good key,
> including that I can regenerate the exact value from my data,
> something that is impossible with a serial id. I also don't have to
> index the 100 char column in order to search on the table, I just need
> to calculate the hash value and check that against the calculated
> column. It does violate the rule that a table shouldn't contain a
> column that is calculated from another column in the table but I think
> it would still be more effective than a serial id.
>
> Is this a reasonable/normal thing to do? I know postgres contains an
> md5() hash function, is this likely to be fast enough to make this an
> effective choice? Are there other options? Am I just a noob barking up
> the wrong tree? It is getting kind of late and my brain is starting to
> hurt.

I've read the responses, I'm starting a new answer thread because I
think that this is "premature optimization".

Please note that there seemed to be a misunderstanding in a few
post it is one column, with 100 characters in it.

My guess is that any test you come up with will find no gain in md5ing a
100 char column.  1,000 or 10,000 maybe.  But not 100.

And since it was intimated this is an address, I would assume it's a
varchar(100) not a char(100) since there's no reason for it to be
padded, so it will not always even be 100 characters long.

I would imagine initing your database for the C (Ascii) locale would be
a much bigger performance gain than any md5 hashing would.