Re: OLEDB connection does not want to work. Help!! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From tommaso.gastaldi@uniroma1.it
Subject Re: OLEDB connection does not want to work. Help!!
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Merlin, thanks!

Yesterday I had the big honor to talk (by email) with Shachar and it
seems that they (someday) will fix this fundamental issue.

I tried to stress how important is to support the OleDbSchemaGuid info,
as the main reason one wants to use this driver, like me, is because he
is doing something that is independent of the underlying DBMS.

From my perpective an OleDb provider which has no support for that
staff, is * totally  useless *. That's also the reason why npgsql,
which I have explored, is not fit for my purposes.

In general when you have an application that needs to speak to all
possible DBMS (and there are many, such as Reporting Tools or Query
builders, ...), and hence rely strictly on the OleDb information, the
OleDb is the only way to go (I believe).

That's one of the reason of the popularity OleDb providers are gaining
among programmers.

Clearly DB producer tend to try to push towards proprietary solutions
(see SQLconnections, OracleConnections, ...) but they will not succeed.
General and common sense solution have always won. It's only matter of
time.

It is important that the Postgres people realize that a good OleDb
provided is crucial to spread their product. Just as an example I am
just waiting for their fix to provide support to Postgres users in one
project of mine:

http://cam70.sta.uniroma1.it/Community/

and this will certainly contribute to increase (a little) the
popularity of Postgress. (But I cannot do anything to help them if they
don't fix it.)

And I guess there are hundred project like this going on...

-Tom