Re: DROP DATABASE vs patch to not remove files right away - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DROP DATABASE vs patch to not remove files right away
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> Patch attached that does the three changes we've talked about:'
> - make ForgetDatabaseFsyncRequests forget unlink requests as well
> - make rmtree() not fail on ENOENT
> - force checkpoint on in dropdb on all platforms

This looks fine as far as it goes, but I'm still thinking it's a bad
idea for rmtree() to fall over on the first failure.  I propose that it
ought to keep trying to delete the rest of the target directory tree.
Otherwise, one permissions problem (for example) could lead to most
of a dropped database not getting freed up,

If there aren't objections, I'll make that happen after Heikki applies
his patch.