Re: sessions and prepared statements - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: sessions and prepared statements
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 08:27 -0400, John DeSoi wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2006, at 11:49 AM, chester c young wrote:
>
> > in PHP for example, where there are multiple sessions and which you
> > get is random:
> >
> > how do you know if the session you're in has prepared a particular
> > statement?
> >
> > and/or how do you get a list of prepared statements?
> >
> > last, is there any after login trigger that one could use to
> > prepare statements the session would need? or is this a dumb idea?
>
> If you are using pooled connections, I don't think there is a
> reasonable way you could managed prepared statements across requests.
> You'll probably want to just prepare the ones you need for the
> current request and discard them when the request ends.

Temporary tables.

BEGIN;
SAVEPOINT;
SELECT * FROM temporary_prepared_statement;
ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT < on failure>;
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE temporary_prepared_statement ...;
COMMIT;

Now you have a place to store and retrieve prepared connection state for
the lifetime of the database backend provided PHP doesn't remove
temporary tables on the connection.