Re: Which processor runs better for Postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Which processor runs better for Postgresql?
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 13:43, Dave Page wrote:

>         Just thought I'd point you to Dell's forums.
>
>         http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=pes_linux&page=1
>
>         wherein you'll find plenty of folks who have problems with
>         freezing RAID
>         controllers with 28xx and 18xx machines.
>

> <shrug>Never had any such problems in the dozen or so machines we run
> (about a 50-50 split of Linux to Windows).
>
> Regards, Dave

Yeah, We've got a mix of 2650 and 2850s, and our 2850s have been rock
solid stable, unlike the 2650s.  I was actually kinda surprised to see
how many people have problems with the 2850s.

Apparently, the 2850 mobos have a built in RAID that's pretty stable
(it's got a PERC number I can't remembeR), but ordering them with an add
on Perc RAID controller appears to make them somewhat unstable as well.

On recommendation I've seen repeatedly is to use the --noapic option at
boot time.

Just FYI