Re: Variable column name - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Pawley
Subject Re: Variable column name
Date
Re: Variable column name  (Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>)
List pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Moran
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 8:19 AM
To: Bob Pawley
Cc: Postgresql
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Variable column name

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/plpgsql-statements.html
Section 39.5.4

If you're not familiar with plpgsql at all, you might want to start with
this:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/plpgsql-structure.html

Thanks for the suggestion.

Following is my interpretation of what I have read.

I am getting an error  -- "column "1" does not exist"

Could someone point to what I am doing wrong?

Bob

  Select 2 into point_array ;
    Select "1" into column ;

    Loop

    Execute 'Update library.compare Set'
    || quote_ident (column[point_array])
    || '=
     (select st_distance (st_geometryn(public.similar.the_geom, 1),
     (st_geometryn(public.similar.the_geom, point_array)))/
public.similar.prime
      from public.similar
      where public.similar.sight_description = ''H_Line'')'
--   || newvalue
    || 'from public.import_process_transfer'
    || 'where library.compare.process_id =
public.import_process_transfer.process_id';
  --  || quote_literal();