Re: ERROR: cannot change name of view column - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ERROR: cannot change name of view column
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> On Tuesday, January 1, 2019, Réal A. Carbonneau <contact@realcarbonneau.com>
> wrote:
>> Since CREATE ... OR REPLACE  is literally: "if exists, drop and create,
>> else, create",

> It’s specifically saying “replace the query used for the view without
> changing the view signature/type”.

Right, it's *not* a DROP.  If it were, we'd make dependent views go away,
and the concern for preserving the view's rowtype would be much less.

> Same goes for create or replace
> function.  The point being the signature is public and cannot be changed on
> the fly but the implementation can be replaced.

The analogy to functions is on-point here.  We used to allow CREATE OR
REPLACE FUNCTION to change the names of function parameters, but we had to
disallow that (or at least greatly restrict it, I don't remember details
right now) when we started allowing calls that use parameter names to
disambiguate arguments.

            regards, tom lane