Re: Status during copy [patch] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Status during copy [patch]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> How do people feel about this patch?  Currently COPY doesn't even return
> a line count of the number of lines processed, while this patch would
> make psql \copy produce date/time and count every 1000 rows, then print
> a similar completion message.

Seems much too noisy for me.  That would be appropriate behavior in a
GUI, but psql is not and never will be a GUI.  Martijn's concern about
hacking the behavior depending on where stderr points demonstrates
exactly why we don't want to do this.

I would not object to adding a line count to the COPY command completion
report (on the server side), though.  That's arguably comparable to the
number-of-rows-processed values for INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE.