Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ] - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: TODO : Allow parallel cores to be used by vacuumdb [ WIP ]
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dilip kumar <dilip.kumar@huawei.com> writes:
> On 15 July 2014 19:01, Magnus Hagander Wrote,
>> I am late to this game, but the first thing to my mind was - do we
>> really need the whole forking/threading thing on the client at all?

> Thanks for the review, I understand you point, but I think if we have do this directly by independent connection,
> It's difficult to equally divide the jobs b/w multiple independent connections.

That argument seems like complete nonsense.  You're confusing work
allocation strategy with the implementation technology for the multiple
working threads.  I see no reason why a good allocation strategy couldn't
work with either approach; indeed, I think it would likely be easier to
do some things *without* client-side physical parallelism, because that
makes it much simpler to handle feedback between the results of different
operational threads.