Re: how to use recursion to find end nodes of a tree - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Ross Johnson
Subject Re: how to use recursion to find end nodes of a tree
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 16:09 +0100, mike@mikeandems.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have been having a really hard time trying to come up with a pl/pgsql
> recursive function to returns the end nodes of a tree.
> Here is an example table definition:
>
> CREATE TABLE parent_child (
> parent_id integer NOT NULL,
> child_id integer NOT NULL
> );
>
> INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, child_id) VALUES (1, 2);
> INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, child_id) VALUES (1, 3);
> INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, child_id) VALUES (1, 4);
> INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, child_id) VALUES (2, 5);
> INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, child_id) VALUES (2, 6);
> INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, child_id) VALUES (4, 7);
> INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, child_id) VALUES (4, 8);
> INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, child_id) VALUES (4, 9);
> INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, child_id) VALUES (9, 10);

What you appear to have is really this, with a missing first node:

CREATE TABLE parent_child (parent_id integer NOT NULL,this_node_id integer NULL,
);

INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (0, 1);
INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (1, 2);
INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (1, 3);
INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (1, 4);
INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (2, 5);
INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (2, 6);
INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (4, 7);
INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (4, 8);
INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (4, 9);
INSERT INTO parent_child (parent_id, this_node_id) VALUES (9, 10);

This makes it easy to search from leaf to root, but not from root to
leaf. Without a list of child_ids in each node you must search the whole
table for nodes that have the current node id as their parent_id in
order to determine if a node is a leaf node or not. Perhaps you can
include a child_id[] in each node, or a has_children boolean flag that
you set and unset when inserting or deleting rows.

But perhaps you can get PostgreSQL to do it for you by setting
this_node_id as primary key and parent_id as foreign key referencing
this same table. You could then test if it's a leaf node by attempting
to change the node's this_node_id to some out-of-range value and see if
it produces as error. If no error then it's a leaf node, (then you must
restore this_node_id - I would try just negating it for the test, so I
don't have to actually store the original value somewhere).