Re: how to prevent generating same clipids - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: how to prevent generating same clipids
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 07:02, v.suryaprabha@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am having the clipid field in my table.In my application  i am taking
> Max(clipid) and inserting it into the table by incrementing that max
> value. so there is a problem when 2 users click sumbit button at a
> time. we r getiing same value . so hoe to solve the problem

You need to use a sequence.

You can either have the database assign the value automatically by
declaring the field type to be serial (instead of int) or bigserial
(instead of int8) or you can assign the value yourself using the nextval
/ currval functions.