Re: 'replication' keyword on .pgpass (Streaming Replication) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 'replication' keyword on .pgpass (Streaming Replication)
Date
Re: 'replication' keyword on .pgpass (Streaming Replication)  (Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
> The attached patch supports new keyword 'replication' on .pgpass file.
> This keyword is used to specify the password for the standby server to
> connect to the primary server.

This strikes me as a completely bad idea.  We need get no farther than
the point that it assumes nobody can have a database named "replication"
(although I notice the patch also appears to assume that libpq knows
internally that the connection is for replication --- I thought we were
going to avoid libpq changes for SR?)

I don't see any real strong reason why a .pgpass entry for this purpose
couldn't depend on having "*" in the database field.  But the later
comments that the password should be in some other configuration file
altogether are probably an even better idea.