Re: psql doesn't reuse -p after backend fail - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql doesn't reuse -p after backend fail
Date
Re: psql doesn't reuse -p after backend fail  (hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com> writes:
> ran psql with specyfying port:
> psql -p 4329 -U postgres -d some_database

> then I run query which breaks backend:

> =# select * from categories limit 1;
> !>

> When I'll try to re-issue \c some_database now, I got:

> !> \c some_database
> could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
> !>

It's not just the port, it's all the connection parameters ---
do_connect relies on the PGconn object to remember those, and in this
case there no longer is a PGconn object.

We could have psql keep that information separately, but I'm not sure
it's really worth the trouble.

            regards, tom lane