Re: Alter Temporary table in Stored Procedure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alter Temporary table in Stored Procedure
Date
List pgsql-general
"Nykolyn, Andrew" <andrew.nykolyn@ngc.com> writes:
> I have the following code in my stored procedure:

>     create temporary table t_resultset as select * from
> get_createtempmsg();
>     alter table t_resultset add column seq serial;

> The error I get is - relation "public.t_resultset"  does not exist.

> I am using 8.1.3

Hmm, well, the case seems to work for me in 8.1.11, but only for rather
small values of "work": the sequence is created in the public schema,
which is the wrong place for a temp object.  On looking back, this whole
area is badly broken in releases before 8.3 --- see discussion of
bug #3403:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-06/msg00114.php

We concluded that the fix was too invasive to risk back-patching,
so it's unlikely that anything will ever get done about it in 8.1.x
or 8.2.x.  If you really need this to work, I'd suggest updating
to 8.3.

            regards, tom lane