Re: question regarding copyData containers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: question regarding copyData containers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jerome Wagner <jerome.wagner@laposte.net> writes:
> now my question is the following :
> is it ok to consider that over the long term copyData is simply a transport
> container that exists only to allow the multiplexing of events in the
> protocol but that messages inside could be chunked over several copyData
> events ?

Yes, the expectation is that clients can send CopyData messages that are
split up however they choose; the message boundaries needn't correspond
to any semantic boundaries in the data stream.

The rule in the other direction, that a message corresponds to one table
row, is something that might not last forever either.  As we get more
people working with large data values, there's going to be pressure to
set some smaller limit on message size.