Re: Spaces in psql output (Was: FW: PGBuildfarm member snake Branch HEAD Status changed) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Spaces in psql output (Was: FW: PGBuildfarm member snake Branch HEAD Status changed)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> The extra spaces is an interesting side-effect. In the past it would
> only have worked for the last column anyway, right?

Of course.

> Anyway, it is a fixable issue and I'd consider doing it if people think
> it's worth it.

I think it would be a good idea to expect this patch to cause zero
change in psql output except in the cases where there are actually
control characters in the data.  Otherwise there are likely to be
complaints.  (I'm already unhappy at the prospect that this means
every single regression test's output has changed, even if diff
--ignore-space is hiding them.)

I'd settle for stripping trailing blanks on the last line of a multiline
field value, if that'd be any easier than stripping them for all lines.