Re: Determining/Setting a server's time zone - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Determining/Setting a server's time zone
Date
List pgsql-general
Madison Kelly <linux@alteeve.com> writes:
>    Server (PostgreSQL 8.1):

> $ date
> Mon Mar 23 20:07:20 EDT 2009
> db=> show timezone;
>   TimeZone
> ----------
>   GMT
> (1 row)

Hmm.  Apparently, this machine is configured so that TZ is set properly
in the environment of user login processes (perhaps in /etc/profile?)
but stuff launched from init sees TZ unset or set to GMT.  Messing with
the init environment might break some other program that wants it to be
GMT, so changing postgresql.conf is the best answer.

>    My concern with forcing a value in the postgresql.conf file is
> forgetting to update the conf file when EDT/EST changes...

As Scott said, you select a zone specification that is DST-aware;
you don't have to change it every six months, or indeed ever unless
you move.

            regards, tom lane