Re: Keeping state in a foreign data wrapper - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stelios Sfakianakis
Subject Re: Keeping state in a foreign data wrapper
Date
Re: Keeping state in a foreign data wrapper  (Ian Barwick <ian.barwick@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
Thank you again, I have another question in order to make sure I have a clear understanding:

> On 4 Aug 2020, at 11:24, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The hash table is specific to each running backend so will only be
> accessed by that process.
>
> Pre-loading a shared library just gives the library an opportunity to
> set up shared memory etc. You can always try adding one of the FDW
> libraries to "shared_preload_libraries" and see what happens
> (theoretically nothing).

My impression was that since each client (e.g. libpq) connection results in the creation of a Postgres process in the
backend(https://www.postgresql.org/developer/backend/) then this  (mysql) "connection pool" hash table is not global
perse and shared among the different client / users sessions. But that defeats the purpose, no?

Thank you
Best
Stelios