Re: Updated CREATE FUNCTION syntax - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Updated CREATE FUNCTION syntax
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Joel Burton" <joel@joelburton.com> writes:
> Given that 98% of my function defining is done is psql, this would be
> fine for me and solve my frustrations. It wouldn't help people that
> build functions in scripting languages or non-psql environments,
> however, but I don't know how common this is.

True, but I'm thinking that other development environments could provide
equivalent features.  (I seem to recall that pgAdmin already does, for
example.)

ISTM the reason we've not addressed this for so long is that no one
could think of a reasonable way to solve it on the backend side.
Maybe we just have to shift our focus.

Another point worth considering is that because psql has its own
smarts about locating query boundaries, it'd be very difficult to
build a function-definition mode without making psql changes, anyway.