Re: Better name/syntax for "online" index creation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Better name/syntax for "online" index creation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Am Montag, 24. Juli 2006 17:13 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> I'm tempted to put the new keyword at the very front:
>>
>> SHARED CREATE INDEX ....
>>
>> which would probably mean that we'd have to document it as if it were a
>> completely separate command from CREATE INDEX, but then again that might
>> not be a bad thing considering how differently the two cases behave.

> What is so different about them that would justify this?

Well, mainly it's exactly the reason that psql wants to know the
difference: one can be executed inside a transaction block, and the
other one can't.  To my mind that's a sufficiently big difference
that it deserves a different command name.  We messed this up with
CLUSTER but that's not a precedent I want to follow.