Re: COPY LOCK for WAL bypass - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: COPY LOCK for WAL bypass
Re: COPY LOCK for WAL bypass
List pgsql-patches
On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 22:03 -0500, Chris Browne wrote:
> simon@2ndquadrant.com (Simon Riggs) writes:
> > On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 12:07 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> >> Following patch implements COPY ... FROM ... LOCK
> >
> > Patch now updated so that it includes an additional optimization of
> > COPY, so that WAL will not be written in the transaction that created
> > the table.
> >
> > This now gives two fast paths for COPY:
> > 1) COPY LOCK
> > 2) COPY in same transaction (e.g. reloading a pg_dump)
>
> I presume that if this doesn't go into WAL, that means that this kind
> of update wouldn't play with PITR, right?

You're right.

PITR is designed for normal production use, rather than initial loading.
It is also fairly common to turn PITR off permanently in larger data
warehouses, which is also where these optimizations are aimed.

I'll take the hint and write the docs then. :-)

Best Regards, Simon Riggs