Re: is this a bug or I am blind? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Csaba Nagy
Subject Re: is this a bug or I am blind?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 18:52, Tom Lane wrote:
> Csaba Nagy <nagy@ecircle-ag.com> writes:
> > ... So "tyty" and "tty" could be arguably both taken as double "ty",
> > except that the official form is "tty"... but from a pronunciation point
> > of view they ARE equivalent in hungarian.
>
> That's fair enough, but the question is should they be taken as
> equivalent for string-comparison purposes?  (English has plenty of
> cases where different letter combinations sound alike, but we don't
> consider them equal because of that.  That may not be a good analogy
> though.  Also, if there are cases in other locales where strcoll
> considers non-identical strings equal, the reasoning for it might be
> quite different.)

Well, I'm not an expert on this one. In any case, hungarian has
phonetical writing as opposed to the etymological writing English has.
So in hungarian there is a 1 to 1 mapping between the sounds and the
signs used to depict them... so pronunciation is somewhat more relevant
in sorting I guess. But I'm not a linguist so I won't know for sure.

Cheers,
Csaba.