Re: Can this query go faster??? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joost Kraaijeveld
Subject Re: Can this query go faster???
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 10:52 +0100, Csaba Nagy wrote:
> Joost,
>
> Why do you use an offset here ? I guess you're traversing the table
> somehow, in this case it would be better to remember the last zipcode +
> housenumber and put an additional condition to get the next bigger than
> the last one you've got... that would go for the index on
> zipcode+housenumber and be very fast. The big offset forces postgres to
> traverse that many entries until it's able to pick the one row for the
I am forced to translate a sorting dependent record number to a record
in the database. The GUI (a Java JTable) works with record /row numbers,
which is handy if one has an ISAM database, but not if one uses
PostgreSQL.

I wonder if using a forward scrolling cursor would be faster.

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.