Re: Problem with the semantics of "select into" in a plpgsql function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: Problem with the semantics of "select into" in a plpgsql function
Date
List pgsql-general
The documentation for "select into" covers this and provides your alternatives.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/sql-selectinto.html

David J.

On Dec 25, 2012, at 10:20, Seref Arikan <serefarikan@kurumsalteknoloji.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
> I have a plpython function that returns a set of records. I loop over them to insert them into a temp table created
byanother function.
> I wanted to test
> select into temp_eav_table (column) select a.column from tbl as a where....
> approach to see if it performs better than the loop. However, I'm not able to compile the function due to an error
thatsays "temp_eav_table is not a known variable"

> So the context assumes this is supposed to be a variable. If I try execute '...', then I have trouble passing a bytea
parameterto the python function. This is what I have at the moment: