Re: Integration with Access Method interface - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Integration with Access Method interface
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alice Lottini <alice_lottini@yahoo.it> writes:
> we're developing a C programme which needs to directly
> use the functions of the Access Methods interface.
> In particular, our programme contains a function,
> readFromPG, which directly calls functions such as
> heap_open, heap_beginscan and so on in order to
> perform a low-level retrieval of data which are to be
> made available for further elaborations.

Why?

The answer to your question is simple: you can't, because those are
internal backend operations and are just not available to client
programs.  But I'm really at a loss why you think this would be a good
thing to do.  What's wrong with a "SELECT ..." command ?