Php abstraction layers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Antimon
Subject Php abstraction layers
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,
I'm working on a new web project based on php and i decided to use
PostgreSQL 8.x as
dbms. For triggers, views, stored procedures etc. I was going to write
a simple wrapper class and use pg_* functions. But some friends adviced
me to use an abstraction layer. I checked PEAR:DB and AdoDB. They look
pretty but i don't understand why sould i need one? Project will be
postgre dependant because of the database structure, i don'T need to
support multiple dbms types. Since i may not even have a chance to
convert database structure. And php 5.1's postgresql library has all
new
features implemented.
In this situation, what would be the advantage of using an abstraction
layer?
Thanks.