Re: Postgresql replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matt Miller
Subject Re: Postgresql replication
Date
List pgsql-general
> > http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgcluster/ which provides syncronous
> > multi-master clustering.
>
> He specifically said that pgcluster did not work for him
> because ...PGCluster requires that there be a load balancer and a
> replicator centrally located managing the cluster. If a network
> problem happens at the centralized location, it would bring down all
> locations completely.

I think the load balancer is an optional component.  Clients can connect
either to a load balancer, or directly to a specific machine.

Also, I think pgcluster can operate async.  If the system runs in
"normal" mode then the client gets a response as soon as the transaction
is committed on the local machine.  In "reliable" mode the client waits
for the commit to happen on all machines.

See
http://pgcluster.projects.postgresql.org/structure_of_replication.html