Re: Postgresql replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Postgresql replication
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 12:20:52PM -0400, Chris Browne wrote:

> bohdan.linda@seznam.cz (Bohdan Linda) writes:
> > I would have a slight offtopic question, this is issue only of pgsql or
> > there are some other db solutions which have good performance when doing
> > this kind of replication across the world.
>
> Asynchronous multimaster replication is pretty much a generally tough
> problem.
>
> Oracle, Sybase, and DB2 all have methods of doing it; none are either
> simple, straightforward, or transparent to use.
>
> It's a tough problem, in general.

I've been involved in one project that did multi-master async replication
across geographically separated servers.

It worked but was operationally so horrible that I've sworn never to
architect a system that requires multi-master replication at the
database ever again. Application level? Possibly. But not at the DB
level.

Cheers,
  Steve