Re: pgsql: move hex_decode() to /common so it can be called from frontend - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: move hex_decode() to /common so it can be called from frontend
Date
List pgsql-committers
> I now understand the wisdom of your suggestion.  Attached is a patch
> that removes hex_decode from ecpg properly, and returns -1 from the
> /common version.

I'm fairly unimpressed with this.  I don't like having fundamentally
different (and 100% undocumented) behaviors between the frontend and
backend versions of the "same" function.

I think you should leave ecpglib alone.  Unifying that little bit
of code isn't worth having to contort the API of the common version.

            regards, tom lane