Re: pg_ctl changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_ctl changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I've implemented the following changes in pg_ctl:

Sounds good to me.

> * Add -l option to name log file.  If the option is omitted, then the
> postmaster log goes to stdout, so you can use 'pg_ctl ... > log' and still
> get pg_ctl's stderr on the terminal.

Let's see if I've got this straight --- the postmaster's stdout and
stderr go to the -l file (by default pg_ctl's stdout), while pg_ctl's
own stderr is kept separate for failure notices?  That seems like it
will work ... in particular one could imagine doingpg_ctl start | log_splitter_process
to handle log rotation stuff.