Re: [SPAM?] Re: PG8 Tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeffrey W. Baker
Subject Re: [SPAM?] Re: PG8 Tuning
Date
Re: [SPAM?] Re: PG8 Tuning  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 08:47 +0000, Steve Poe wrote:
> Paul,
>
> Before I say anything else, one online document which may be of
> assistance to you is:
> http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList/
>
> Some thoughts I have:
>
> 3) You're shared RAM setting seems overkill to me. Part of the challenge
> is you're going from 1000 to 262K with no assessment in between. Each
> situation can be different, but try in the range of 10 - 50K.
>
> 4) pg_xlog: If you're pg_xlog is on a spindle is *only* for pg_xlog
> you're better off.

Like Mr. Stone said earlier, this is pure dogma.  In my experience,
xlogs on the same volume with data is much faster if both are on
battery-backed write-back RAID controller memory.  Moving from this
situation to xlogs on a single normal disk is going to be much slower in
most cases.

-jwb