Re: wanting to use postgres with python - WHAT am I - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: wanting to use postgres with python - WHAT am I
Date
List pgsql-general
Am Mittwoch, den 03.08.2005, 09:49 -0600 schrieb Ronni:
> I want to use postgres with python but I can't seem to get it working.
> If I read things correctly I need python installed then I need postgres
> installed.  I did both on my Sun Solaris Opteron AMD 64 (Mandrake 10.1
> os) using the --enable-shared and --with-python options.  Both came back
> with ready statements.  I can do stuff with python and I can do stuff
> with postgres - but I can't seem to do stuff with both!  I installed
> Python-2.4.1 and PostGreSQL-8.0.3.
>
> I read up and decided that I needed PyGreSQL so downloaded
> PyGreSQL-3.6.2 and had to work extensively (before asking for help there
> again) to get just the compile to work.  It seems to add the shared
> library but the "python setup.py install" doesn't work AT ALL.
>
> My question is - is there a more simple way?  I must surely be doing
> something wrong.  Maybe I don't even need PyGreSQL.

"doesnt work at all" is not a good problem report. Its better to include
the output of the run. python setup.py will also tell you options
you can give (specify path to your postgres libs/includes and so on)

Did you install python from source too?

Most people use psycopg with python and postgres.

--
Tino Wildenhain <tino@wildenhain.de>