Re: Select Stament Issue?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Select Stament Issue??
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 13:54, DracKewl wrote:
> Trying out PostgreSQL for the first time and running into a minor
> problem.
> I created two tables one with the Add table wizard the other hard-core
> script.
>
> Script made table:
> Select * from Example
> --This works as expected
> Select * from EXAMPLE
> --This works as expected
>
> Wizard made table:
> Select * from Example
> --ERROR:  relation "Example" does not exist
> Select * from "Example"
> --This works as expected
>
> The wizard table has created a case sensitive restriction on me and
> forced me to use quotes.  How do I turn this off?

When you created the table you likely did this:

create table Example (...

While the wizard actually did this:

create table "Example" (...

So, postgresql folded case on your create table, and actually created a
table called example, while the wizard's quoting the table name meant
the table was named Example.  This should fix you up:

alter table "Example" rename to example;