Re: Writing Commit Status hint bits (was Re: Constant - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Writing Commit Status hint bits (was Re: Constant
List pgsql-hackers
> > In general, the hint bits are good. In *some* cases, not. I still seek
> > control over that as a designer.

> ... not be worth
> solving with a knob as klugy and potentially dangerous as
> suppress_hint_bits.

I note that heap_get_latest_tid() relies upon the setting of
HEAP_XMIN_COMMITTED in the infomask in lieu of checking any return codes
from the HeapTupleSatisfies check. Sequences also touch on that.

I agree with you that it is potentially dangerous to mess with that, for
now.

I'll look at Read-Only Tables for 8.2 rather than this quick-fix.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs